This was my first attempt at making risotto without assistance from my wonderful rice cooker. The recipe was one from Jamie Oliver‘s 20min meal iPhone app where the directions are so easy it’s ridiculous at how beautiful it tastes. If you love risotto like I do, then try this one out! yuuuummmmm…..
RECIPE AND DIRECTIONS FROM JAMIE OLIVER’S 20 MINUTE MEALS iPHONE APPLICATION
Asparagus and Pesto Risotto (2 servings)
- 1 medium bunch – Asparagus
- 2 heaped tsp – Pesto (home-made is best)
- 1 sm – red onion
- 1 stick – celery
- 2 knobs – Butter
- 150g – Arborio rice (Japanese rice also works well)
- 400 ml – Vegetable stock
- 25g – Parmesan Cheese
- 100ml – white wine (use a nice one)
- splash – olive oil
- pinch – sea salt (I didn’t use any)
- black pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to the lowest setting & place your plates in the oven to warm
- Place a large saucepan on a low to medium heat. Peel the onion & trim the celery stick then finely chop them
- Add 1 knob of butter to the hot pan with onion, celery, a splash of olive oil, and a splash of water. Cook over a low heat for around 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until soft. Meanwhile…
- Bring the stock to the boil in a medium saucepan, then turn the heat down to low.
- Snap the woody bases off the asparagus and add them to the saucepan of stock. Slice the remaining tender stalks up to the tip then leave the tip whole. Put to one side.
- Finely grate the Parmesan.
- Once your vegetables are very soft (but not browned) add the rice to the pan.
- Stir & fry the rice for a minute until translucent, then add the wine and keep stirring until all the wine has absorbed by the rice.
- Turn the heat under the rice up to medium then add a ladle full of hot stock, avoiding the asparagus stalks – these are there to add flavour but not to be eaten!
- Stir constantly and continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, waiting for the rice to soak it all up before adding the next ladle full. Continue until you’ve used tow-thirds of the stock.
- Once two-thirds of your stock has been added, stir the sliced asparagus and tips to the rice.
- Keep adding the stock until the rice if just cooked and the risotto has a nice oozy consistency. If you run out of stock, use boiling water.
- Take the pan of risotto off the heat and stir in your teaspoon of pesto and half the parmesan. Cut your lemon in half then squeeze in a little juice.
- Taste the risotto and season with salt and pepper (if you need it). Cover the pan with a lid.
- Divide the risotto between the two warmed plates. Sprinkle over the remaining parmesan and top each with a dollop of pesto. DONE!