Can you see a wee theme going here. This one is definitely a take on a post from yesterday. Yup, I loved that mushroom salad so much I wanted to make a variation. Grilled and roasted veggies are soooo goood.
This one is similar but different, if that makes any sense
The main component is Kabocha. The five spice seasoning adds that extra dimension to the flavourful vegetable. All of the other flavours in the dish compliment it without over powering it. The varitey of beautiful textures from the soft tofu to the brown rice with bite are utterly satisfying and extremely healthy and wholesome.
My image, again, doesn’t do the dish any justice, but it gives you an idea at least. Just ignore the flash of light to the left.
Here you go…delish!!
- 1/4 kabocha cut into thin slices (be careful, using a very sharp knife makes this easier, but also pretty dangerous)
- 1 medium aubergine
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice
- 150g firm tofu (drained)
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sprinkle of cracked salt and pepper
- A bunch of spinach roughly cut
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 umeboshi
- In a small bowl add the sliced kabocha
- Splash a little of the olive oil and add the five spice then mix evenly (with your hands, I find is best)
- Add to the grill pan – the rack.
- Perform the same method to the aubergine using the rest of the olive oil, then add to the grill tray along with the kabocha
- Grill on a medium heat turning frequently
- In the mean time, wash and chop your spinach. Drain and dress with the lemon juice and sesame seeds
- Cut the tofu into cubes and add to the spinach.
- Allow your rice to cool a little before adding to the spinach and tofu.
- Mix through with a little salt and pepper
- Dress your plates with the salad
- When your veggies have cooked through, place on top of the salad
- Serve with umeboshi or a pickle of your choice.
- Enjoy 🙂